- alert, vigilant or watchful
- A recurring theme. [W]
‘Indeed, it is this intergroup nature of prejudice which really forms the leitmotif for the whole book.’
- A boundary or other limit; a boundary-marker; mere.
- The scope of someone’s responsibility.
- Someone or something entrusted to one’s care, such as a child to a babysitter or a student to a teacher. [W]
‘The child was a charge of the nanny.’
- Extreme greed, especially for wealth.
- Of the time period prior to a war.
- In the United States of America, of the period prior to the American Civil War, especially in reference to the culture of the southern states. [W]
‘In the antebellum United States, Solomon Northup, a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery.' [X]